Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copper: The intermediate cause of PET?
Wow, I thought I'd stumbled onto something important when you first mentioned the word copper in the fb group a few weeks ago, but this whole copper thing is becoming quite ridiculous, spooky even. You only need to spend time researching (plus now with your amazing input), and the number of conditions that are a result of copper deficiency is incredible. It's almost like all my unexplained health issues are now making sense. Fingers crossed anyway.

Re Fructose... I've always been a fructose malabsorber, so I'm on the low-FODMAP diet (for 10+yrs), so my intake would be limited, but it was interesting what she says in the video about excess fructose in the gut...
Re Vit C... I don't eat much fruit, but I do eat very healthy so could cut back a little on some vegetables... I basically never supplement, but I did in Nov/Dec when I was sick (2000mg+) and that clearly hasn't helped my situation.
Dodgy
Re Vertical ridges on fingernails... I don't think it will surprise you to learn I also have this, and always have! Naturally, it was a mystery.
Re Food vs supplements... yes I think that unless you have absorption issues, there shouldn't be much difference re copper availability... I've temporarily stopped the supplement until my gut/bowels clear up (I've long had issues in this area and need to work out why I've always eaten like a horse and struggle to maintain weight - and I doubt it's entirely metabolism-based)... that said, I had beef liver tonight for the first time, only 50g, which is about 7.3mg of copper. So we'll see how that goes down.
Re my symptoms... after taking zinc for about 4 months a few years ago, can't remember exact dosage but was prob similar to you, I developed MS-like neurological symptoms; numbness/tingling/weakness mainly in lowers legs and forearms. My copper was 9 at the time, now it's 11 (range is 11-22). Similar symptoms have recently returned to a lesser degree as I (stupidly) took zinc along with the VitC a few months ago. My research at the time led me to believe it was a B12 deficiency, but my levels were fine. My clueless doctor never suggested testing for copper. It could've saved me from much suffering and potentially PET. He was of course keen to talk about SSRIs.
Angry

This is a list of potential copper deficiency symptoms via google... (and I'm sure there's plenty more - eg. fingernails)
* the ones I have are in italics *
- fatigue or low energy levels
- paleness
- low body temperature / sensitivity to cold

- anemia / neutropenia
- weak, brittle bones (osteopenia/orosis)
- balding/thinning/greying hair
- unexplained weight loss
- inability to gain weight

- skin inflammation
- weakened immune system
- MS type symptoms
- muscle soreness
- joint pain
- high cholesterol

- PET?!

My neutrophils were down on a recent blood test, my cholesterol is too high for someone who eats so healthily, and out of the blue last week, my chiropractor, after looking at my spinal xray, tells me I'm showing obvious signs of osteopenia! In my 40s! WTF?!
So basically, I'm the poster-child for copper deficiency. I would lol but feeling unwell for this long is too serious.

I'll also be very interested to see if copper plays a role in weight loss / high metabolism. Do you know of any research/links?

Would you mind talking about your copper supplementation... what you're taking, for how long, dosage, findings? And obviously how it's affected your PET?
Have you ever had your copper retested?

The evidence suggests 10mg/day is the limit if you're going to supplement consistently, so I think 4-6mgs is perfectly fine.

Btw what the hell is that unveilingthem website?! He sounds like a genius and a nutter all in one. Hard to know how much to believe.

On the other hand, that YouTube lady (Vita?) is my new favourite person... behind you of course.
Tongue

PS. What's the 3rd factor in the cause of PET? Or is that in the members only paid subscription area?  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Copper: The intermediate cause of PET? - by Matt - 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM